Almost every welcome back to school message written for decades has likely included the word “excited”. The perspective provided by the challenges of the last year and a half makes the word “excited” seem like it is not enough. We are thrilled to start the 2021-2022 school year and see students in classrooms and hallways. We are elated to already hear the sounds of recess, lunch, shoes squeaking in the gym, and laughter from students collaborating in classrooms. We are honored and more inspired than ever to serve our students and community in not only learning, but also creating connections, memories, and overall wellness. It is going to be a great year! Below you will find important information to start the school year:
Kindergarten Parents ONLY:
- The first day of school will start at 9:30am for just kindergarten students. We understand that the first day for a kindergartener can be difficult, not only for the child, but also for the parents. This will allow you and your child the opportunity to experience how drop off will work without all the other cars present. It will slow things down, allow students to focus on the procedures, and ease some anxiety that the first day of school brings.
- Please plan to use the east parking lot to drop your student off. Your child’s kindergarten teacher will be waiting in this area to greet each new student as they exit their car.
Welcome Letters/Supply Lists:
- Classroom placement information with printed supply lists will be mailed on Monday, August 23.
- Supply lists were also sent with final report cards in the spring and a general list can be found on our website.
- While we can't have a physical Open House this year, we certainly want to make our students feel welcome and at ease when starting school.
- You will receive a message from your child’s teacher via email introducing themselves and their classroom prior to the first day of school.
- Per CDC, MDHHS, and Public Health-Muskegon County, face coverings are recommended (not required) for all individuals inside Mona Shores Schools at this time.
Food Service Plan:
- Water bottles must be labeled with names.
- Students will ALL receive a FREE breakfast at 8:25am each day.
- Students will ALL receive a FREE lunch each day if they do not bring a home lunch.
- Breakfast and lunch will be eaten in the classroom.
- No microwaves will be available for lunches brought to school.
- Students will not be permitted to bring in and share food from home this school year for birthdays or class celebrations.
- We will still celebrate your child’s special day and will work to make sure their birthday at school is a special one.
- Students in grades K-2 and their older siblings in grades 3-5 will be dropped off at our east parking lot . From there students will walk to the playground and line up in a designated line for their classrooms. This will be a drop and go set up same as last school year. Therefore, parents won’t be able to park and walk their children up to school. We will have staff members stationed to welcome and guide students along the way.
- Students in grades 3-5 will be dropped off in the west parking lot (new). From there they will walk to the playground and line up in a designated line for their classrooms.
- Bussing students will be dropped off in the front of the building, go through the school to the playground, and line up in a designated line for their classroom.
- Students will be let into the building at 8:25 am.
- Please arrive between 8:15 am - 8:20 am each day, as the playground equipment is off limits in the morning and the expectation is that all students will walk directly to their designated area.
- Each grade level will have a Churchill staff member overseeing and assisting students.
- PLEASE NOTE - There is Limited space so parents will need to remain in vehicles to keep the line moving.
- Students in grades K-2 (and older siblings) will be walked outside by their teacher and picked up in the east parking lot.
- Students in grades 3-5 without a younger sibling will be walked out by their teacher and picked up in the west parking lot.
- Sailor Care students will go to their designated space in the gymnasium.
- Staff supervision/guidance will be provided during these times.
Volunteers and Visitors:
- Visitors, family members, and adult guests are not allowed in the building unless mandated by law or under extenuating circumstances. .
- To avoid in-person visits to the office, please call our main office number 798-1276 upon your arrival. We will be able to assist you over the phone.
- If your child requires medication to be administered during school hours, you must fill out an authorization medical form in our main office prior to school starting. Medications must be in the original and most recent prescription bottle with the prescription specifications clearly stated. If over the counter medications are needed to be kept at school, these must be in new, unopened bottles.
- If your child has a life threatening health condition, such as a severe food allergy, please alert our main office so that we can complete the necessary forms, to ensure your child has a safety plan in place at school.
We have worked hard to ensure a positive start to the 2021-2022 school year and are so very excited to welcome you all back to Churchill. Thanks for everything you’ve done to prepare your child for school, as well. We look forward to partnering together to provide our students the best learning experience this school year!
For your reference:
Mona Shores Return to Learn Plan from Superintendent Bill O’Brien with district information and guidelines for the upcoming school year as well as information on how to enroll in Muskegon County Virtual Academy.
Principal, Churchill Elementary