Dear Churchill Families,
We are excited to begin the school year with in-person learning! The focus of our day as always is safety, relationships, and curriculum. With the changing times, I wanted to give you a reminder at our new normal to begin the school year. We will do everything we can to make sure all of these things take place consistently on a daily basis. Our students and families are our #1 priority, and now more than ever your support is appreciated. Below you will find important information:
- Students will be required to wear masks during the school day. Please practice this at home to increase your child’s stamina at keeping a mask on. Please also consider getting multiple ones to ensure students have a clean mask to wear to school each day.
- We will be scheduling “mask breaks” into our day which will allow students to take a small break while seated and maintaining a safe distance from others.
- Disposable masks will be available to students who don’t bring one to school.
- While we will be providing lanyards for students to hook their masks to, please know that if they drop or lose their mask and it’s not labeled, it will have to be thrown away - no lost and found.
Food Service Plan:
- Water bottles must be labeled with names.
- We have decided to start the school year with “No Snacks”.
- Students will ALL receive a FREE breakfast at 8:30am each day.
- Breakfast and lunch will be eaten in the classroom.
- Lunch schedule per grade level is listed below.
- No microwaves will be available for lunches brought to school.
- We feel two meals are enough for students with a shortened day. This will also cut down on food brought into classrooms.
- Following the recommendations provided by the Muskegon County Health Department guidelines, students will not be permitted to bring in and share a birthday treat at school this year.
- We will still celebrate your child’s special day and will work to make sure their birthday at school is a special one.
- Students in grades K-2 and their older siblings in grades 3-5 will be dropped off at our east parking lot . From there they will walk down the sidewalk in front of the building, through the school to the playground, and line up in a designated line for their classrooms. This will be a drop and go set up due to parking lot construction and limited space. Therefore, parents won’t be able to park and walk their children up to school. We will have staff members stationed to welcome and guide students along the way.
- Students in grades 3-5 will be dropped off in the west parking lot (new). From there they will walk to the playground and line up in a designated line for their classrooms.
- Masks should be worn at all times.
- Bussing students will be dropped off in the front of the building, go through the school to the playground, and line up in a designated line for their classroom.
- Students will be let into the building at 8:25 am.
- Please arrive between 8:15 am - 8:20 am each day, as the playground equipment is off limits in the morning and the expectation is that all students will walk directly to their designated area.
- Students will enter the building one classroom at a time.
- Each grade level will have a Churchill staff member overseeing and assisting students.
- PLEASE NOTE - Limited space and parents will need to remain in vehicles to keep the line moving.
Daily Recess and Lunch Schedules by Grade Level:
- Morning Recess: 9:00am - 11:00am (20 minutes) - Students wear masks outside during this time
- 9:00am = K, 9:20am = 1st , 9:40am = 2nd, 10:00am = 3rd, 10:20am = 4th, 10:40am = 5th
- Lunch & Lunch Recess: 11:00am - 1:20pm (20 minute lunch & 20 minute lunch recess)
- Each grade level will eat lunch first followed by recess - Students wear masks during recess time
- 11:00am = K, 11:20am = 1st, 11:40am = 2nd, 12:00pm = 3rd, 12:20pm = 4th, 12:40pm = 5th
- Students in grades K-2 (and older siblings) will be walked outside by their teacher and picked up in the east parking lot.
- Students in grades 3-5 without a younger sibling will be walked out by their teacher and picked up in the west parking lot.
- Masks should be worn at all times.
- Sailor Care students will go to their designated space in the gymnasium.
- Bussing students will have protocol on how to go the bus.
- Staff supervision/guidance will be provided during these times.
- This is going to take more time than usual, so please be patient as we start the year.
Volunteers and Visitors:
- As described in our Elementary Return to Learn Plan, visitors, family members, and adult guests are not allowed in the building unless mandated by law or under extenuating circumstances.
- Parent meetings will be held by phone or virtually.
- To avoid in-person visits to the office, please call our main office number 798-1276 upon your arrival. We will be able to assist you over the phone.
For your reference:
- Mona Shores Return to Learn Plan
- Mona Shores Return to Learn Frequently Asked Questions for Families
We have worked hard at Churchill to ensure a positive start to the 2020 school year and are so very excited to welcome you all back to Churchill. Thanks for everything you’ve done to prepare your child for school, as well. We look forward to partnering together to provide our students the best learning experience this school year!
Principal, Churchill Elementary