Board of Education
Back Row: Jay Keessen, Jeanne Cooper-Kuiper, Stan Miller, Michael Hansen
Front Row: Kandace Boysen, Wesley WIlson, Christine Burnaw
Board Member Profiles and Terms
Kandace Boysen Term: January 2007 - December 2018
Christine Burnaw Term: January 2014 -December 2020
Jeanne Cooper-Kuiper Term: January 2005 - December 2022
Michael Hansen Term: January 2009 - December 2020
Jay Keessen Term: January 2015 - December 2022
Stan Miller Term: January 2013 - December 2018
Wesley Wilson Term: January 2017- December 2022
Responsibilities of the Board of Education
The Board of Education is the governing body of the Mona Shores Public School District with responsibility for developing policy to ensure the proper care, management and control of District affairs.
The Board consists of seven citizens elected at large by the voters of the district. Board members must be U.S. citizens and registered to vote in the District. Members serve six-year terms, with either two or three seats up for election in November of even-numbered years.
In addition to setting policy, the Board hires and evaluates the superintendent; approves the budget for the district; places millage requests on the ballot for voter approval to support the operation of the district; approves staff hiring, transfers, resignations, terminations, and leaves of absence; approves expenditures; approves educational programs and curricula; and otherwise ensures that facilities and equipment are available to support learning and teaching in the District.
The Board holds an organizational meeting in early July to set the meeting schedule for the coming fiscal year, and settle other routine business. Officers (president, vice president, secretary, and treasurer) are elected each year in January.
Work Session & Regular Session Meetings
Work Session/RegularSession meetings are held at 7 p.m. on the first and second Mondays of most months in the Judith L. Wilcox Professional Learning Center at the Ross Park Elementary campus at 121 Randall Road in Norton Shores. Click here for the current meeting schedule. Special meetings may be added at any time and are posted on the District’s home page.
Communicating with the Board
The Board welcomes public input on any issues relevant to the district. Members of the public are encouraged to attend all School Board meetings, and anyone may address the Board during a public comment period at each Board meeting.
You can email the Board at Board@MonaShores.net, or reach individual Board members by phone or email using the contact information at right.
You may also write to the Board at:
Mona Shores School Board
121 Randall Rd.
Norton Shores, MI, 49441
Superintendent Search - Job Posting
SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS JOB POSTING
The Board of Education of the Mona Shores Public Schools is conducting a search for its next superintendent. It is expected that the superintendent will be in place by August, 2018.
Mona Shores Public Schools is a suburban district located in West Michigan. It is known throughout the state as a premiere district offering the “triple threat”. The focus on K-12 academics, arts, and athletics makes Mona Shores a destination district.
Mona Shores consists of 4 elementary buildings (Campbell, Churchill, Lincoln Park, and Ross Park) along with one middle school and one high school. Mona Shores prides itself on being a big district that feels like a small district. With many staff members that live in the community as well as teaching here it helps create this sense of community that is unmatched.
Norton Shores, Michigan, a young, growing city located on the shores of Lake Michigan in Muskegon County is well known for its natural scenic beauty, recreational opportunities, attractive neighborhoods and high quality public schools. The community of 22,527 residents encompasses over 24 square miles. Norton Shores is graced with more than six miles of Lake Michigan shoreline plus numerous public access points on Mona Lake and Black Lake. Hoffmaster State Park is one of the most beautiful parks in Michigan. It has wooded campsites and some of the finest beaches and dunes anywhere for hiking and family enjoyment. The acclaimed Gillette Nature Center located within the park affords unique educational opportunities. Several city parks, including three located on Mona Lake, offer additional passive and active recreational activities.
The population of Norton Shores is maintaining with several new commercial developments in the works. The housing market in Norton Shores is booming. Homes are on the market for a minimal amount of time as this is a destination for families.
Mona Shores Points of Pride
- Triple-threat School District – Excellence in academics, arts and athletics
- Nationally recognized performing arts programs
- 20 Advanced Placement course offerings at the high school
- Washington Post “Top High School” Award
- Recipient of MASB Education Excellence Awards
- High School Graduation Rate 93%
- Robotics program competed in World Competition
- EPIC Awards – three years running
- One-to-One technology with Chrome Books
- Beautiful lakeside community with great community support
- A district of choice for many Muskegon area students
- Strategic Plan in process
- Strong curriculum
- Dedicated staff committed to success for all students
- Enrollment: 3,859
- Instructional Staff: 208
- Support Staff: 75
- Administrators: 17
- Foundation Grant: $7,631
- MAISD Enhancement Millage: Provides approximately $160 per student
- Debt Retirement Millage: 6.55 mils
- Budgeted Expenditures: Approximately $37,000,000
- June 30, 2017 Fund Balance: $2,824,000 (Approximately 7.4%)
- Michigan Administrative Certificate, or equivalent
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership/Curriculum, or equivalent
- Minimum of three years successful experience building principal or central office experience
- The Mona Shores Board of Education has determined that the following criteria are those which are the most highly sought in a new superintendent:
- Exemplifies the highest level of personal and professional ethics, personal integrity and trust
- A visionary leader with the ability to engage all stakeholders in the pursuit of a clear vision for the district that focuses on student achievement, communication and use of district resources
- Leadership experience in a traditional public school setting that reflects a record of success in positions of increasing responsibility and that includes: three years of building principal/central office experience, at a minimum; however, non-traditional candidates with proper credentials and background may be considered
- A school leader who is approachable, treats everyone with respect and dignity and who is open to ideas and suggestions from a variety of sources within the school community
- Demonstrates effective communications skills (writing, public speaking and listening); and excellent interpersonal and public relations skills
- Dedication to education excellence and the success of all students
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with effective curriculum, instruction, professional development, assessment and best practices to improve teaching and student achievement
- A commitment to a philosophy of continuous improvement through collaboration and research
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in public school finance and fiscal management; inclusive of bond issues and related expenses
- Knowledge of facility maintenance and operations including: support services, facility studies, improvements, bonding opportunities
- Demonstrated success in human resource management, including collective bargaining, contract administration and employment practices
- An individual who sets high expectations for self and others; holds staff at all levels accountable; and who accepts responsibility for results
- An individual who has demonstrated a solid working relationship with staff while experiencing challenging external factors affecting public education.
- Demonstrated track record of direct involvement and knowledge of politics of public education at the local, intermediate, state and federal levels
- Demonstrated ability to be visible throughout the district and actively engaged with the school and community activities
- Proven leadership ability with skills in implementing change, collaboration, successful systems, creative problem solving, intelligent risk taking and team building
Salary and Contract Information
The Board will offer a regionally competitive comprehensive, multi-year contract with a salary commensurate with experience.
- Interested candidates should complete and submit the Michigan Leadership Institute on-line application found at www.mileader.com or http://www.applitrack.com/mileader/onlineapp
- Completed on-line applications must be submitted no later than 4:00 PM EDT on Friday, June 29, 2018.
- No “hard copy”, fax or emailed copies accepted. All materials will be treated confidentially through the screening process only upon the written request of the candidate.
- All questions regarding the search should be submitted to David Killips, Regional President, Michigan Leadership Institute, 734-320-6572, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are advised not to make direct contact with any member of the Board of Education.
- Application deadline – 4:00 PM EDT, Friday, June 29, 2018
- Selection of candidates for first interviews – Week of July 9, 2018
- Public Interviews – Week of July 16, 2018
- Second Round of Public Interviews – Week of July 23, 2018
- Site or in-district visit - To be determined
- Start date - August, 2018
The Board may make exceptions to this profile, process and/or timeline to ensure selection of the best possible candidate. The services of Michigan Leadership Institute have been secured to assist the Board in the search process and in the screening of candidates. The Board of Education will make all decisions with respect to process, evaluation of candidates, and appointment of the successful candidate.
Board of Education
Stan Miller, President Kandace Boysen, Trustee
Jeanne Cooper-Kuiper, Vice-President Michael S. Hansen, Trustee
Christine Burnaw, Secretary Wesley Wilson, Trustee
Jay Keessen, Treasurer
The superintendent search will be conducted with due regard to the Michigan Open Meetings Act (Public Act 267 of 1976) requirement of open meetings for all public body deliberations, decisions and interviews.
|‹ June 2018 ›|
Board of Education Meeting - Work Session 7:00 PM to 9:00 PMBoard of Education Meeting - Work SessionJun 47:00 PM to 9:00 PMJudith L. Wilcox Professional Learning CenterSchool Board CalendarThis event has a Google Hangouts video call. Join: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/monashores.net/helmerg-sparksa?hceid=bW9uYXNob3Jlcy5uZXRfbnFrY3RlbzRvYTNjZG92ZmYzZG1zZ2k1ODhAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.cjedk8uupam8i40e5niqtknas4&hs=121
Board Student Representation Committee 6:00 PM to 6:45 PMBoard Student Representation CommitteeJun 116:00 PM to 6:45 PMJudith L. Wilcox Professional Learning Center, AB - Large Admin Conference RoomSchool Board Calendar
Board of Education Meeting - Special Session - Budget Hearing 6:45 PM to 7:00 PMBoard of Education Meeting - Special Session - Budget HearingJun 116:45 PM to 7:00 PMJudith L. Wilcox Professional Learning CenterSchool Board CalendarThis event has a Google Hangouts video call. Join: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/monashores.net/helmerg-sparksa?hceid=bW9uYXNob3Jlcy5uZXRfbnFrY3RlbzRvYTNjZG92ZmYzZG1zZ2k1ODhAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.33fk98okff76kr9t6cq4qit126&hs=121
Board of Education Meeting - Regular Session 7:00 PM to 9:00 PMBoard of Education Meeting - Regular SessionJun 117:00 PM to 9:00 PMJudith L. Wilcox Professional Learning CenterSchool Board CalendarThis event has a Google Hangouts video call. Join: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/monashores.net/helmerg-sparksa?hceid=bW9uYXNob3Jlcy5uZXRfbnFrY3RlbzRvYTNjZG92ZmYzZG1zZ2k1ODhAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.67jrmobkb9lq309fg9jvm5n7vc&hs=121
Board of Education Meeting - Work Session 7:00 PM to 9:00 PMBoard of Education Meeting - Work SessionJul 27:00 PM to 9:00 PMJudith L. Wilcox Professional Learning CenterSchool Board CalendarThis event has a Google Hangouts video call. Join: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/monashores.net/helmerg-sparksa?hceid=bW9uYXNob3Jlcy5uZXRfbnFrY3RlbzRvYTNjZG92ZmYzZG1zZ2k1ODhAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.3nuon5mhthlc0kgp6rlkm8irt4&hs=121
Board of Education Meeting - Regular Session 7:00 PM to 9:00 PMBoard of Education Meeting - Regular SessionJul 97:00 PM to 9:00 PMJudith L. Wilcox Professional Learning CenterSchool Board CalendarThis event has a Google Hangouts video call. Join: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/monashores.net/helmerg-sparksa?hceid=bW9uYXNob3Jlcy5uZXRfbnFrY3RlbzRvYTNjZG92ZmYzZG1zZ2k1ODhAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ.0egmu3kpb4brl3jmhh5n5nk0t7&hs=121