Psychology & Social Work social work


The school psychologist’s main role is to help children and youth succeed academically, socially, and emotionally within the school setting.  The psychologist also collaborates with educators, parents, and other professionals to create safe, healthy, and supportive learning environments for all students that strengthen important connections between home and school. School psychologists can give achievement and cognitive tests that are used to help determine a student’s educational needs, as well as their eligibility for special education programs and services.  School psychologists take a pro-active role in monitoring at-risk students who are struggling academically or behaviorally.  The psychologist can also support students and teachers through the child study process and through implementation of multi-tiered systems of support and positive behavior support. 

Social Work

The school social worker may evaluate a student’s social and emotional adjustment. School social workers in Mona Shores Public Schools only provide direct support to students eligible as special education. Goals that are most often written on IEPs that require social work support, are related to social, emotional or school adjustment problems. School social workers serve as resource persons to educational staff, students and parents in providing problem solving techniques; acting as a liaison between the school, home and community while coordinating and developing community resources.  School social workers also take a leadership role in the development of student behavior plans.


External LinkHealthWest of Muskegon (231) 724-1111
External LinkThe Arc Muskegon (231) 777-2006
External LinkAutism Network of Muskegon
External LinkMuskegon Area Intermediate School District
External LinkEarly On (231) 767-7253
External LinkSpecial Education Advocate
External LinkWebster House
External LinkEvery Women's Place
External LinkChild Abuse Council
External LinkWestshore Dispute Resolution Center
Family Court - Delinquency Division (231) 724-6234